Westbrook Senior Property Tax Assistance Program
Westbrook's Senior Property Tax Assistance Program may reimburse eligible participants a portion of their current-year tax payment. This program is aimed to provide additional tax relief to seniors in our community, both homeowners and renters. Qualified applicants may receive up to $1,000 in credit.
An application is required every year. To qualify for a reimbursement during Westbrook's FY 2024 tax year, applications must be submitted between July 1, 2023 - June 1, 2024. Eligibility determination will be based in part upon an individual's state tax filing from 2022.
The Westbrook Senior Property Tax Assistance Program is governed by the Westbrook Code of Ordinances Chapter 286, Article I, and is available to Westbrook residents who meet the following criteria:
- Age 65+
- Have received the Maine Property Tax Fairness Credit in the prior tax year (2022)
- Have lived in Westbrook for at least ten (10) years
- Are either a homeowner or renter in Westbrook
- Have no delinquent taxes owed
To apply for Westbrook's Senior Property Tax Assistance Program, follow the steps provided below:
- Complete the Westbrook Senior Property Tax Assistance Program Application
- Attach proof that you applied for and received the Maine Property Tax Fairness Credit, as follows:
- A signed copy of your Maine Individual Income Tax Form for 2022 (Form 1040ME)
- A copy of your Schedule PTFC, which accompanied Form 1040ME, demonstrating your application for the state credit
- Supporting documentation showing that you received the state credit, such as the check stub that was provided with your State Property Tax Fairness Credit reimbursement check
- If a renter, provide a copy of your lease agreement
- Complete and attach a W-9 form, to allow the City to issue you a reimbursement if you prove eligible for the program.
Return the application with all supporting documentation to: City of Westbrook, ATTN: Tax Collector, 2 York Street, Westbrook, ME 04092. Applications must be received no later than June 1, 2024.
If you have any questions or need additional assistance, please contact Westbrook's Tax Collector by phone at 207-854-9105 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition, you may consult the Westbrook Senior Property Tax Assistance Program Reference Guide.